King of this little castle
April 12, 2010 19:45
HTML 5 and Canvas and ARC
It should work on the latest version of any major web browser except for Internet Explorer. I've found that Chrome and Safari have the best performance for the game right now.
- This way what I make will be cross-platform automatically
- I'll be able to make a much more user-friendly map editor because I'll be using some of the built-in GUI functionality of a browser.
- Semi-transparent PNGs and Canvas drawing functions are sure to be a hit for the graphic effects.
The only potential problems I see are:
- Not sure if there's a reliable standard for audio and sound effects in HTML 5 yet
- Loading times include download times, so I'll have to be smart with preloading
- Saving and Loading may be problematic, though I could make those routines in PHP
Also, I really should get back into this game development, since the magnificent Josiah Tobin will be lending his pixel-wrangling skills to it.
Insert witty phrase here.